Launch of ‘Global Social Media Law for Business Lawyers’ Handbook
Valerie Surgenor, Partner at MacRoberts, is in Chicago this week at the ABA (American Bar Association) Annual Business meeting for the official launch of a book she has co-edited with fellow lawyer John Isaza of Rimon Law and authored the UK chapter.
The Handbook on Global Social Media Law for Business Lawyers deals with social media law and related governance, principally in the United States, while providing the reader with coverage of key global regions, including Canada, the EU, Australia and Asia. 22 Legal professionals have united their knowledge and in depth expertise to create an indispensable tool for lawyers.
The complete guide covers a range of relevant and current topics including:
- Use of social media as a tool in recruitment of employees
- The effect of privacy on an employer’s ability to govern its employees
- The FTC’s general social media disclosure guidelines
- Cybersecurity and risk, including hacking, corporate espionage, data loss and data breach
- Intellectual property issues in social media
- Defamation and “fake news” – elements of a social media crisis plan and the attorney’s role in a crisis
- UK and European social media legislation.
Val co-wrote, with help from colleagues across MacRoberts, a chapter on UK & European Social Media Legislation.
The key topics covered include:
- Consumer Protection
- European Convention on Human Rights
- Issues around Fake News
- The Communications Act 2003
- Treatment of social media issues across Europe
The ABA Annual Business meeting welcomes lawyers from all over the world to expand their international network of business law professionals.