Our Parliamentary team complements our strong offerings from across the firm, calling on expertise from a number of areas including transport, planning, environment, employment, regulatory, government and public sector. Led by lawyers recognised consistently by both Chambers UK and Legal 500, we have the breadth and depth of experience required to help advise you on a wide range of matters which require both complex legal expertise and political sensitivity.
We can provide support on a wide range of parliamentary and public affairs matters, including:
- Monitoring proposed legislation for matters which could affect your interests
- Advising on the legal and commercial implications of proposed legislation
- Drafting and vetting briefing papers, press releases and letters to Ministers, MPs, MSPs, MEPs, and stakeholders
- Drafting and vetting responses to public consultations
- Advising on parliamentary and judicial procedures for challenges to proposed legislation
- Drafting objections to proposed Bills, Orders and proposed exercise of compulsory acquisition powers
- Assisting with preparation for your appearance or representing you at stakeholder meetings, at public inquiries and before parliamentary committees
- Drafting and vetting applications and submissions, including “hostile review” of supporting materials
- Advising on protocols for securing powers and consents
- Advising on legislative competency
- Advising on related EU law considerations
- Assistance with pre-application engagement with stakeholders
- Drafting and revising primary and secondary legislation
Where appropriate, our Parliamentary team draws on legal expertise from across the firm to provide wider contextual advice on particular proposals.
We have provided a range of advisory services on Scottish parliamentary and constitutional issues, including further devolution and independence question-related matters.