Led by one of Scotland’s foremost authorities on the law relating to extraction industries, the team has developed its reputation on the back of exceptional standards of service delivery and the wealth and diversity of experience.
Our work has covered all stages in the process, from initial design issues, scoping, environmental assessment, applications for consent, authorisations and planning permissions, through to the more contentious aspects of inquiries and hearings into objections made.
We can advise you across a wide range of legal matters including planning, environmental, real estate, dispute resolution and mergers and acquisitions. Despite the complexity of the issues you may face, you will find us straightforward and down-to-earth in our approach as we advise you on the appropriate course of action to produce the best outcomes for your business.
Mining & Quarrying
We have wide-ranging experience within the team. Recent or current work includes:
- Acting for the largest independent aggregates business in the UK in relation to all of its legal requirements in Scotland, including real estate, planning, and environmental and other regulatory work.
- Acting for the developer in relation to all real estate and planning work on a deep mine project in Perthshire for extraction of barytes. Real estate work has included negotiating contracts for an option to take the lease of the minerals and options for leases for the haul road associated with the mine.
- Acting for the proprietors of a disused stone quarry near Airdrie, including advice on public and property owners’ liability, and advice in connection with the planning and contracting aspects of the infilling of the quarry.
- Advising a major oil and gas company, as a pipeline operator, on the impact on minerals extraction projects of the presence in their vicinity of major hazard high pressure pipelines. The advice is mainly in connection with the application of the Minerals Code, derived from the Mines (Working Facilities and Support) Act 1923 and associated legislation.
- Acting for the applicant during the eight-month public inquiry into an application to develop a hard rock coastal super-quarry in the South Lewis, Harris and North Uist National Scenic Area, Western Isles, acting in two appeals to the Court of Session for the same development and in the public inquiry into an Old Minerals Permission and subsequent appeal to the Court of Session.
- Acting for a large Scottish waste management company in one of the largest mineral ownership litigations in Scotland relating to a claim by mineral owners that one of our clients’ landfill operations at was an actionable trespass on their mineral ownership.
- Advising many of our clients in the mining and quarrying sector on the terms of bonds and guarantees offered as security in respect of restoration and aftercare obligations covering both bonds provided by banks and bonding the guarantee scheme operated by the Quarry Products Association.
Oil & Gas
In oil and gas, our experience ranges from the traditional extraction industries to the newer non-conventional methods of hydraulic fracturing and unconventional drilling.
We are currently working with the UK Government and its principal advisers in relation to the Peterhead Carbon Capture and Storage project, providing advice in relation to Scottish law matters. On the same project, we are providing real estate advice to a multi-national oil and gas company which is a participant in the project. The scheme will capture CO2 emissions from Peterhead power station and export it by pipeline for storage in a depleted North Sea gas field.