Led by one of Scotland’s foremost authorities on the law relating to extraction industries, our team has developed its reputation on the back of exceptional standards of service delivery and the wealth and diversity of its experience.
Our work has covered all stages in the process, from initial design issues, scoping, environmental assessment, applications for consent, authorisations and planning permissions, through to the more contentious aspects of inquiries and hearings into objections made.
We can advise you on a wide range of legal matters including planning, environmental, real estate, dispute resolution and mergers and acquisitions. Despite the complexity of the issues you may face, you will find us straightforward and down-to-earth in our approach as we advise you on the appropriate course of action to produce the best outcomes for your business.
We have wide-ranging experience and our recent work includes:
- Independent Aggregates
- Acting for the largest independent aggregates business in the UK in relation to all of its legal requirements in Scotland, including real estate, planning, and environmental and other regulatory work.
- Real Estate
- Acting for the developer in relation to all real estate and planning work on a deep mine project in Perthshire for extraction of barytes. Real estate work has included negotiating contracts for an option to take the lease of the minerals and options for leases for the haul road associated with the mine.
- Acting for the proprietors of a disused stone quarry near Airdrie, including advice on public and property owners’ liability, and advice in connection with the planning and contracting aspects of the infilling of the quarry.
- Oil and Gas
- Advising a major oil and gas company, as a pipeline operator, on the impact on minerals extraction projects of the presence in their vicinity of major hazard high pressure pipelines. The advice is mainly in connection with the application of the Minerals Code, derived from the Mines (Working Facilities and Support) Act 1923 and associated legislation.
- Public Inquiry
- Acting for the applicant during the eight-month public inquiry into an application to develop a hard rock coastal super-quarry in the South Lewis, Harris and North Uist National Scenic Area, Western Isles, acting in two appeals to the Court of Session for the same development and in the public inquiry into an Old Minerals Permission and subsequent appeal to the Court of Session.
- Scottish Waste Management
- Acting for a large Scottish waste management company in one of the largest mineral ownership litigations in Scotland relating to a claim by mineral owners that one of our clients’ landfill operations at was an actionable trespass on their mineral ownership.
- Mining and Quarrying Sector
- Advising many of our clients in the mining and quarrying sector on the terms of bonds and guarantees offered as security in respect of restoration and aftercare obligations covering both bonds provided by banks and bonding the guarantee scheme operated by the Quarry Products Association.