We are an independent Scottish commercial law firm, based solely in Scotland, but as most of our clients operate throughout the UK and abroad, we maintain strong, enduring links to the wider UK and international markets. This allows us to provide bespoke advice to clients and other lawyers based in other jurisdictions on multi-jurisdictional matters.
We are an independent Scottish commercial law firm, based solely in Scotland, but as most of our clients operate throughout the UK and abroad, we maintain strong, enduring links to the wider UK and international markets.
Our strength comes from our relationships and connections, so we are ideally placed to take on work which relates specifically to Scottish legal matters.
When referring work to us, you will find us:
- Fully informed on Scots law differences and able to offer good counsel
- Highly responsive
- Fully integrated, working as an extension of your team
- Focused on results
- Clear in our communications
- Transparent with our processes, including fees, timescales and operating procedures
And at all times, any referrals you bring to us will remain your client. We are not competing with you. We are here to work with you, to enhance your reputation as well as ours.
To view our credentials in this area, please click here.
In order to provide our clients with the services they require outside of Scotland, we maintain excellent links with lawyers throughout the world. We are therefore able not just to recommend a lawyer, but to recommend a lawyer who is personally known to us and who we believe will provide in their jurisdiction the quality of service and commitment that we would have provided ourselves had the matter been in Scotland.
MacRoberts partners and solicitors also participate regularly in international conferences and seminars, both in the UK and overseas, and this gives us an extensive network of expert legal advisers to assist our clients in resolving their issues quickly and effectively.
The following are some of the international associations to which the firm or its partners belong:
The aims and goals of EELA are:
- to bring together practising employment lawyers across the European Union;
- to improve the implementation and understanding of the social dimension;
- to exchange views on the manner of such implementation;
- to strengthen links between EU employment lawyers.
Through our involvement in EELA, we are able to provide our clients with advice for all their employment needs throughout Europe from specialist and expert lawyers in each jurisdiction.
- Our Managing Partner, John Macmillan, was a board member of the EELA.
All the members of the IPTC team are active participants in euroITcounsel, a quality circle of European specialist computer and IT lawyers. EuroITCounsel delivers specialist IT, computer and telecommunications sector legal advice across Europe with established, experienced EU state qualified lawyers.
- Our Senior Partner, David Flint, is a director of EuroITcounsel and immediate past Chairman.
MacRoberts have been members of Advoc, the Network of Independent Law Firms for over 20 years. With over 95 members in 71 countries (and an association with a further 22 countries in Africa), our involvement with Advoc means that we are able to provide legal support to our clients no matter where they are conducting their business.
Lawyers in our Corporate Finance, IPTC, Banking, Tax, Real Estate and Commercial Dispute Resolution teams have regular exchange with their colleagues in other jurisdictions.
- For any information on this international network of independent law firms, please contact our Senior Partner, David Flint.
MacRoberts have been regular attendees at the Spring and Annual Meetings of the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association and have been regular participants as speakers in the presentations and fora at those meetings. Val Surgenor and David Flint have both contributed to publications by the American Bar Association in relation to IP and Technology.
- Val Surgenor is the Chair of the Sub-Committee on Social Media Governance and Corporate Strategy within the Cyberspace Law Committee
- Our Senior Partner, David Flint, is the Chair of the IP Sub-Committee of the International Business Law Committee and Non-US Cyer Laws Task Force
Interact Law is a collaborative network of specialist global legal firms committed to offering outstanding legal solutions.
- For further information on this network of independent legal practices whose members act for business clients with cross-border interests, please contact either our Energy Partner, Nick Jones, who joined the board in 2016, or our Commercial Dispute Resolution Partner, Julie Hamilton.
INTA is the global association of trade mark owners and professionals dedicated to supporting trade marks and related intellectual property in order to protect consumers and to promote fair and effective commerce.
The Association’s member organisations represent some 30,000 trade mark professionals and include brand owners from major corporations as well as small and medium-sized enterprises, law firms and nonprofits.
Through our involvement in INTA, we are able to provide our clients with advice for all their trade mark needs from trade mark experts throughout the world.
Nextlaw Global Referral Network – ‘The broadest, most innovative legal referral network in the word. ‘
Dentons, the world’s largest law firm, has created Nextlaw Global Referral Network, the world’s broadest, deepest legal referral network. Their membership covers more countries than any other legal referral network.