Child residence (sometimes referred to as child custody) and contact (sometimes referred to as access) are often the most contentious issues a separated or divorcing couple must agree on.

In most circumstances, it is far better for the parents to reach an agreement out of the courts, rather than pursuing a lengthy legal battle that results in the court making decisions about the family’s future. Our team can advise you on your parental rights and responsibilities relating to any child or children of your relationship, and assist in negotiating and formalising any out of court agreement reached.  In addition, our trained mediators and collaborative lawyers can help create a calm constructive environment for your discussions with the other party involved.

If a decision cannot be reached, it is possible to ask the court to make a residence order, a contact order or both. A residence order regulates whom a child lives with and during what periods. A contact order regulates arrangements for maintaining personal relations and direct or indirect contact with a child (visits, holidays, skype calls etc.). Any other issue, such as education or child relocation, can also be regulated by a specific issue order.

When reaching a decision on child residence and contact, or any other matter relating to children, the court’s priority is the welfare and best interests of the child. The court will also put emphasis on providing a stable environment and may take into account the views of the children depending on their age and levels of maturity. It is also generally accepted that children should have the benefit of a relationship with both of their parents.

We can answer such questions as:

  • I have just separated from my partner, how should I approach the arrangements for our children?
  • What are my parental rights?
  • Can I apply for a residence or contact order if I do not have parental responsibilities and rights (for example, if you are a grandparent)?
  • Will my child have a say in whom they want to look after them?
  • What do I do if my child does not want to see my ex-partner?
  • Can my partner stop me seeing my child?
  • I am a step-parent – can I apply for contact with my step-child?

We regularly help clients to resolve child arrangements. Our aim is to help them find a solution that is practical, amicable and in the best interests of the children. If court proceedings cannot be avoided, our specialist family law litigators are ready to help clients navigate the court system and make sure they are fully represented.

Contact our Child Contact and Residence Solicitors Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee & throughout Scotland

We also understand that expense can be an additional concern, which is why we always aim to keep costs down and are as transparent and upfront as possible about the fees involved. For a free, initial 15-minute consultation, whatever family law matter you may be facing, please contact us.

Contact Our
Family Lawyers

Please let us know your first name.
Please let us know your last name.
Please let us know your email address.
Please enter a valid phone number
Please let us know your enquiry.


Contact Our Family Lawyers

Stay in touch with MacRoberts

Legal changes can have a dramatic impact on you and your business. To ensure you are kept abreast of the latest developments and have the knowledge to make timely, effective decisions, please sign up for our free updates.